[OLPC-GSoC] XOradio, XOtv, new projects, intro.

jaume jaume at nualart.com
Sun Mar 23 16:28:00 EDT 2008

Hi all,
my name is jaume nualart, I'm a catalan living in Vienna, Austria. Part
of OLPC Austria.
Last years I'm part of the giss project. (http://giss.tv/) This is a
network of icecast servers that shares their bandwidth. Is a free
software project for free audio and video contents.

My project for XO related to GSoC is about audio and video streaming
from XO using giss free (libre) platfform.

Overview:
The idea is to supply an easy way (1 click) to broadcast contents (audio
and video) from a OLPC laptop, and then, put all the available channels
together in a OLPC global channel.

Educational Goals:
In educational terms, this project is about free speech and about a new
relationship with media in the after-TV & networks age. OLPC sharing
live videos could be:

    * games sharing
    * lectures sharing
    * howtos sharing
    * p2p online help
    * video connected classrooms/sessions

The page about the project is here:
http://www.olpcaustria.org/mediawiki/index.php/XOtv

Status at Mar08:
- XOradio (OGG Vorbis) stream is working very stable and we are
finishing the pygame interface right now.
- XOvideo (OGG Theora) has problems with reencoding (too much for the XO
with a respectful minimum video size). There are efforts about that in
the olpc wiki. So here the project will ask for video encoding mentoring
as well.

About me: http://wiki.nualart.com

hi to all
jaume