[Grassroots-l] [laptop.org #12584] Fwd: New $100 Laptop Design

Alex Keybl alex.keybl at duke.edu
Tue May 27 13:12:17 EDT 2008

Ms. Canter,

This may be a little off topic for the more general debate of OLPC providing
Windows for computers distributed during G1G1, but if your only goal is to run
Windows on a child-sized laptop, there may be better options.

Now that you have 3 XOs, you might consider selling them on eBay and
purchasing
laptops that were created with Windows in mind.  For instance, you can
purchase
an EEE PC with XP preinstalled for about the same price as the G1G1 program
(minus the second donated laptop of course).

http://www.google.com/products?q=eee+pc+xp&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd

Even still, I think you should reconsider replacing the default XO operating
system.  The XO laptop was created to run Sugar on top of Fedora Linux, and
Windows isn't really an upgrade.  In fact, you'll lose some of the
functionality that makes the XO such a great educational tool, such as mesh
networking and readily available (free) children's software.  I hope that
helps.

-Alex Keybl