[Grassroots-l] [laptop.org #12584] Fwd: New $100 Laptop Design

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue May 27 14:44:02 EDT 2008

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Nan A. Canter <nana_canter at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How typical a response!!!!!
>
> This organization continues to treat those of us who
> supported the G1G1 program early on with distain, to
> say the least.....

And OLPC's own volunteer community and staff.

> My three OLPCs will go not to my children but to
> elementary students in a distant and isolated farming
> community in eastern kyrgyzstan....

There is no Kyrgyz localization for Sugar. Would your friends like to
start one? I would be happy to get it created and help them to get
organized.

> I feel duped, used, and almost "taken".... not a great
> way for an organization like yours to treat your most
> ardent supporters.... Sorry i can't afford to donate
> 100!!!!!

I would like to help community organizations donate a roomfull each to
any local children's museum or wherever else public access to XOs
could be arranged. It can be done through G1G1, or (at lower cost per
unit, but more painfully) through GiveMany.

> nana canter
>

> --- Support at rt.laptop.org wrote:
>
>> On Sun May 25 16:54:16 2008, nana_canter at yahoo.com
>> wrote:
>> > Note: forwarded message attached.
>> >

>> > will the laptop we got be able to get the
>> mocrosoft
>> > program installed?
>>
>> OLPC has no plans to sell XO laptops to US
>> customers.

This turns out not to be the case. A revival of the GiveOneGetOne
program has been announced, but with no details yet.

However, it is true that you will not be able to get Windows XP for
XOs in the US. That is Microsoft's marketing decision, and has nothing
to do with OLPC. If you want to talk about disdain for customers, we
can take that up separately.

>> The Windows on XO
>> program was developed by Microsoft for use on
>> country sized deployments
>> in developing countries.

Windows-only XOs are initially going into four countries for trials.
There is no public information on which countries, although Egypt
logically should be one of them, given its expressed interest in
Windows. After these trials, the plan is for Linux-only and dual-boot
XOs, but no more Windows-only units.

>> --
>> Alan - OLPC Support Volunteer
>> XO user guide: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User_Guide

None of this is Alan's fault. Nicholas Negroponte does not think of
propagating official announcements to volunteers, and nobody else in
the organization seems to have responsibility for changing the
messages that the volunteers are given to send to inquirers such as
you.

Some of us are trying to create a shadow management organization to
take on such responsibilities. I don't know of a good precedent for
this effort. Any assistance that anybody can give will be greatly
appreciated. These aren't official jobs, so I don't really have a
title, but you may regard me as Shadow CEO if you like.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/