[Grassroots-l] [laptop.org #12584] Fwd: New $100 Laptop Design

Mel Chua mel at laptop.org
Tue May 27 10:43:43 EDT 2008

Nana,

The XOs you and I have weren't designed, hardware-wise (or, to my
knowledge, anything-else-wise) with Windows in mind - they were made
running an open-source, Linux-based software stack, and that's how we
got them.

Microsoft also got a bunch of XOs (presumably likewise initially running
that open-source software stack) and spent its own time and money and
developer resources porting Windows to the machine. Should OLPC support
Microsoft's "hack"? I think it's entirely reasonable for OLPC to point
to Microsoft to support the modifications they made.

To draw an example - it's as if a friend and I purchased identical
scooters, and then my friend decided she was going to hack around on the
weekend, bolt an engine onto her scooter, and make it into a motorized
scooter. Great for her! If I wanted a motorized scooter, I wouldn't go
to the scooter shop and say "You sold me this scooter, and then I saw
someone else with a motorized version they'd made - you need to motorize
my scooter and give me motorized-scooter support!" I wouldn't expect
them to support someone else's hack. I would go to my friend and say
"hey, you motorized your scooter. Can you help me motorize mine, and
help me fix my motorized scooter when it breaks down?"

In effect, OLPC is saying "We made a scooter. Microsoft bolted this
engine-thingy on the back of theirs. If you ask us where you can get
this engine-thingy, we're going to say 'Microsoft,' and it's between you
and them to figure out whether they're going to help you get an
engine-thingy. We ourselves make scooters."

-Mel