[Grassroots-l] Grassroots Web Conference?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:17:22 EDT 2008

Alex Keybl wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Alex Keybl, and I'm the founder of the OLPC grassroots
> efforts at Duke University.  I'm emailing the list because I'd like to
> get a feel for interest in an idea a few of us at OLPC at Duke have been
> mulling over.
>
> We've been discussing the possibility of hosting an OLPC grassroots
> web conference, with the goal of increasing general communication
> between grassroots projects around the world, as well as increasing
> the visibility of OLPC projects.  This ranges from software/hardware
> development to pilot programs and public awareness campaigns.  We want
> to hear about what's going on, from the mouths of those involved.
>
> What we're suggesting is a live streaming conference online.  It would
> probably go something like this:
>
>    1. Have people sign up for time slots to present at the conference
>       beforehand
>    2. Get a Skype account for the conference
>    3. Have people call in at the time they signed up for (audio or
>       video), or possibly even send an audio/video clip ahead of time
>    4. Blast it out to Justin.tv (or Ustream.tv, or Operator11) using
>       camtwist.  All of these services are live streaming services
>       (think live YouTube)
>    5. Allow viewers (and other presenters) to ask questions of the
>       presenters using a live chat
>    6. Keep the video and chat history in the archives
>

> What's especially interesting is that this will not only be a live and
> interactive event, but it will also be available to grassroots
> projects and others in the future.
>
> Please let me know what you think by emailing me at alex.keybl @t
> duke.edu if you are interested or have questions.  I'm not sure about
> the rules of this list, but if they are lax, feel free to also reply
> here.  Thanks for your time.
>
> -Alex Keybl
> OLPC at Duke <http://www.olpcatduke.com/>

I think its a great idea to get a whole bunch of people to share ideas
on channels other than these lists. I've been on other conference calls
(for this project and other projects) and its amazing as to how much
information is generated and collected via live channels.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University