[Grassroots-l] Grassroots Web Conference?

Alex Keybl alex.keybl at duke.edu
Sun Mar 30 23:04:35 EDT 2008

Hello all,

My name is Alex Keybl, and I'm the founder of the OLPC grassroots
efforts at Duke University.  I'm emailing the list because I'd like to
get a feel for interest in an idea a few of us at OLPC at Duke have been
mulling over.

We've been discussing the possibility of hosting an OLPC grassroots
web conference, with the goal of increasing general communication
between grassroots projects around the world, as well as increasing
the visibility of OLPC projects.  This ranges from software/hardware
development to pilot programs and public awareness campaigns.  We want
to hear about what's going on, from the mouths of those involved.

What we're suggesting is a live streaming conference online.  It would
probably go something like this:

Have people sign up for time slots to present at the conference
beforehand
Get a Skype account for the conference
Have people call in at the time they signed up for (audio or video),
or possibly even send an audio/video clip ahead of time
Blast it out to Justin.tv (or Ustream.tv, or Operator11) using
camtwist.  All of these services are live streaming services (think
live YouTube)
Allow viewers (and other presenters) to ask questions of the
presenters using a live chat
Keep the video and chat history in the archives

What's especially interesting is that this will not only be a live and
interactive event, but it will also be available to grassroots
projects and others in the future.

Please let me know what you think by emailing me at alex.keybl @t
duke.edu if you are interested or have questions.  I'm not sure about
the rules of this list, but if they are lax, feel free to also reply
here.  Thanks for your time.

-Alex Keybl
OLPC at Duke