[Grassroots-l] [Fwd: First OLPC Chicago meeting @ Google, Jan 22]

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Tue Jan 15 03:35:23 EST 2008

Chicago-area OLPC-ers: we're having our first meetup. This is coming up
a week from now, so please forward to any friends, family, mailing
lists, etc. you think might be interested.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Chicago#Jan._22_Meetup

The first COGG (Chicago-OLPC Grassroots Group) meeting is Jan 22, 2008
at Google Chicago (20 West Kinzie St, Chicago IL). This being Google,
snacks and drinks will be provided. Thanks to Jon and Fitz from Google
and Ian from OpenPlans for setting this up!

Doors open at 6:30, meeting starts at 6:45 and runs 'till 8:30. Everyone
is welcome - teachers, coders, students, engineers, artists, parents,
interested people from around the neighborhood - no experience required.
Part of this meeting is so everyone can meet each other and learn how to
get involved as well as share and collaborate on existing projects.

rough agenda (feel free to add):
* very brief overview of OLPC and how you can get involved
* Project show-and-tell
** students from the [[Illinois Math and Science Academy Chapter]] will
give rocket-pitch overviews of their projects
** anyone else?
* upcoming events / help wanted
** Chris Brown looking for OLPC presenters in Wilmette for Feb. 4 to
demo/explain the program at a teachers' tech conference
** OLPC at [http://us.pycon.org/2008/tutorials/SugarFletcher/ PyCon
2008] in March; attend, network, present, hack?
** full-time OLPC-Chicago office-hub probably opening this summer
* project brainstorming / hacking time

Contact mel at laptop dot org to RSVP by Friday, Jan. 18 at noon CST. We
need a roster in advance to let everyone into the building.