[Grassroots-l] Working with kids (only for people in Cambridge/Boston area)

Arjun Sarwal arjun at laptop.org
Thu Jan 10 21:11:44 EST 2008

Greetings,

I am an intern here at OLPC and I've been working on developing the
"Measure Activity" which ships as part of the default build on the XO
laptop.
See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Measure .

This Activity allows kids to interact with the physical world by indulging
in learning by doing experiments - hooking up sensors on the XO, observing
spectrum of sound...etc.

I plan to conduct a few sessions with kids using the XO and the Activity in
the hope of trying to learn what are the things that they like, how they
perceive the software as a tool for carrying out learning by doing
Activities and what seems most fun for them to do :-)

We have had groups of children over to the offices before, but it takes
some coordination of activity leaders and chaperones.  I'm planning to
have some 2/3 hr sessions here at the OLPC office, which has some nice
and sunny rooms on weekends; Saturday afternoons or Sunday mornings.
(Sunday afternoons we have an open house for anyone to stop by and visit)

I am looking for volunteers to help me carry out these sessions and work
with the kids. It will be great fun and a lot of learning!  (I will feed you
too :-) )

Please email to let me know if you'd like to contribute.

thanks,
Arjun

--
Arjun Sarwal