[OLPC-Games] What are the plans for pygame

Noah Kantrowitz kantrn at rpi.edu
Thu May 31 11:47:13 EDT 2007

stas zytkiewicz wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Kent Quirk <kent_quirk at cognitoy.com> wrote:
>
>> stas zytkiewicz wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, could somebody tell me what the plans for pygame are?
>>>

>> The plans for pygame are to construct a system that will allow a generic
>> pygame application to "play nice" in a Sugar environment. You shouldn't
>> have to handle GTK events or canvases unless you are trying to do
>> something unusual.
>>
> [..]
>
>> My recommendation is that you just proceed to develop pygame apps that
>> are agnostic about how surfaces are constructed. If they run acceptably
>> on a range of Mac/PC/Linux machines you'll probably do OK. We do intend
>> to be releasing lots of details about how to create games for the OLPC,
>> but the target date to have first pass of that information is the Game
>> Jam, which starts June 8.
>>
> Thank you for the explanation but proceeding to adept a rather large pygame
> based application like childsplay or schoolsplay could turn out to be
> frustrating.
> I will wait until there's some clarity about the way pygame will take.
>
> In the mean time I'll start porting another, pyGTK based, application to the
> XO called gvr :-)
> ( http://gvr.sf.net )

PyGame is PyGame, I'm not sure what your question is. The whole point of
abstractions like PyGame and Python is that you can change the
underlying implementation without breaking things (as long as you keep
the API the same). No one is saying we should change anything in PyGame
API, just that the graphics code behind it might.

--Noah