[OLPC-Games] Res: Games Digest, Vol 5, Issue 12

Kent Quirk kent_quirk at cognitoy.com
Mon Jun 25 09:32:37 EDT 2007

Antoine van Gelder wrote:
> NoiseEHC wrote:
>
>> Disadvantages:
>> Not compatible with legacy OpenGL apps.
>>

> A long long time ago it meant a lot more for me to be able to render a
> untextured, unlit, wireframe cube on my Commodore 64 than the fact that
> it wasn't an OpenGL cube with hardware shaders.
>
> Standards and hardware accel are for adults who are trying to
> cost-optimize a product development cycle for products that rely on
> bling rather than gameplay to remain competitive.
>
> Last time I checked the XO is being developed for kids.
>
> So go ye forth and writest the software renderer thouest wishest thou
> had when thee were 12 years old dammit!!
>
> :-D
>
>   - antoine

On this platform, no application written for hardware accelerated GL is
going to render fast enough to be useful anyway.

Looks like what you're saying is that you're going to write a scene
graph renderer, and let Python app developers define 3D objects and
insert them into the scene graph. Seems like the rendering API is going
to basically include defining objects, moving them around, and moving
the camera around.

That sounds great.

Are you intending for collision detection to be part of the system? How
about physics? (Both would probably require a simplified object model --
spheres or boxes -- on this platform).

    Kent