[OLPC-Games] Gcompris on the XO

stas zytkiewicz stas.zytkiewicz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 14:04:31 EDT 2007

On 4/17/07, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:
> Le mardi 17 avril 2007 à 16:50 +0200, stas zytkiewicz a écrit :
> > I assume schoolsplay would also be a nice program to have on OLPC.
>
> Well, please understand the situation, in GCompris or Childsplay, there
> are 2 parts, an activity manager and a set of activities.
>
> My perception is that Sugar IS the activity manager, there is already an
> API to create a Sugar activity. Now you can create a second level,
> having Sugar that starts an activity (GCompris, Childsplay,
> Basictivity, ...) and that activity can manage and run specific
> activities but it's not the best approach in my opinion.
I agree with your line of thinking but I don't think the OLPC people share this
view. For example etoys is also a collection of activities, I assume as etoys
crashes mine OLPC emulation :-(

> I believe our activities should be ported and build directly at the
> first level because Sugar will have to implement a way to manage
> activities (local or remote install/remove). I don't think it make sense
> to create the same activity management code for each sugar activities.
I don't no that, I don't know the inner workings of Sugar but I had understood
that Sugar was the OLPC desktop/window manager.

> If we want to build a large number of activities, we need to be sure
> Sugar provides a proper API for that. That's why I mentionned the
> GCompris API not because it can be reused but because it contains all we
> identified as useful over our 7 years of development.
That's true, we talked about this many years :-)

Stas

--
The purpose of democracy is to make sure that wealthy people cannot
have influence proportional to their wealth. And if they do have more

   RMS