[OLPC-Games] Gcompris on the XO

bruno.coudoin at free.fr bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Apr 17 09:53:29 EDT 2007

Selon stas zytkiewicz <stas.zytkiewicz at gmail.com>:

> On 4/17/07, bruno.coudoin at free.fr <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:
> > Selon { K I R A N } <mybutwal at gmail.com>:
> >
> > > Gcompris vs Basictivity
> > >
> > > Gcompris is a great tool. We want similar tool with more features and
> less
> > > resource consumption for XO. We know there will be so many activities
> which
> > > should be included in XO, while distributing XO to the children. Those
> > > activities will be curriculum based. For example we have a list of child
> > > centric activities provided by IFCD (Innovative Forum for Community
> > > Development) for grade 1 - 3. If we are going to port these activities in
> > > the XO, there is no place holder for these activities, and we have to
> make a
> > > base (multi-activities place holder) with some features. We are trying to
> > > build such tool named Basictivity which will provide such
> multi-activities
> > > place holder with administering option.
> > >

> > I simply don't get it. What you describe in your project is the current
> design
> > of GCompris or Childsplay. I though on the XO that the activity will be
> managed
> > by sugar itself. What the point of creating another software level:
> > Sugar --> Activities
> >       --> basictivity --> activity in the basicactivity API
> I agree with Bruno on that. It all exists already.

Sorry, you don't get my point, I don't think GCompris does the job, there
are very specific requirements in this project that makes all we did mostly
irrelevant under Sugar. We need first to define the requirements of this
project, how do we want to develop, distribute and manage all these activities,
maybe some code can be reused from project A or B but it doesn't matter until
we know what we are building there.

Bruno.