[Etoys] Possible to load/import project from file without going to World Menu?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Sep 9 01:13:48 EDT 2008

At Tue, 9 Sep 2008 00:59:07 +0000,
Milan Zimmermann wrote:

> Today I realized that I do not know how to import a project from file without
> going to World Menu - or is hiding the filesystem as a way of sharing
> discouraged (not a bad thing but still surprised me).

  Yes, hiding the filesystem is what is going on here.  I personally
don't see that the Journal idea and hiding the filesystem idea have to
always go together, but that is another story.

  What is hidden in Etoys (surprise from this end!) is the "File
Dialog" widget.  Grab Object Catalog, go to Scripting and pull out
File Dialog.  You can import other kinds of files from there.  If the
file is store onto an external USB memory or such, the Journal adds
them to the list (at least when you unplug and plug it.)

> PS:
> As a note, today I tested export/import via file using  "hold down quit button
> + Save Project As" + load from world menu - that worked.

  Hold down the "keep menu"?

> Some forms of saving project gave error - reported on trac.

  Thanks!  I commented on that, too.