[Etoys] Fully Relicensed version of mainstream Squeak

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Oct 22 21:45:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 05:24:58PM -0700, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   As mentioned in the leadership discussion minutes from Craig, the
> plan now is as follows:
>
>   - Make Squeak version 4.0.  This is based on the 3.11 effort but
>     get rid of or rewrite code that are not relicensed and make a
>     fully relicensed version relatively conservatively.  Etoys 4.0 is
>     now fully relicensed, and we can bring the removal and rewrite
>     changesets from that stream.
>
>   - Craig continue to work on the Spoon based system.  It is dubbed
>     Squeak 5.0.  (My personal opinion is that because it is fairly
>     different, it could have a different name, but...)
>
> BTW, during the Etoys' relicensing effort, I made a little web app
> that lets you view *all history* from Squeak V1 to the latest version:
>
> http://tinlizzie.org:8080/seaside/examples/authorship2
>
> I can make a similar page for 3.10 or such, and also give a tool to
> check the unlicened code in a particular code base.
>
>   Ken and Mathew, how does it sound?

Keith would be the interested person, not Ken.

It sounds like a good plan. Do you have a patch I could use to
get started? I would definitely like to see just how bad the
situation is in 3.9 or 3.10. Croquet would be nice too, but I
think the history of Croquet is much more muddled than the
history of squeak.org