[Etoys] pangoRenderer

Markus Schlager m.slg at gmx.de
Sat Oct 18 14:43:02 EDT 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

> At Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:30:38 +0530,
> K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 18 Oct 2008 2:40:01 am Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>>>   I tried to reproduce it, but not successfully.  One thing that might
>>> affect is that you actually have a different etoys.mo file for
>>> Spanish, and your etoys-dev-4.0 finds it?  The system trys to decide
>>> whether it should turn it on or not by looking at some phrases and
>>> specs in the .mo file
>> What was the rationale behind such a logic?
>>
>> Locale is a poor determinant of rendering method. I would expect the method to
>> be text style tag rather than spread all over the place like this. The
>> current approach seems to add complexity to an already complex issue of
>> multilingual text.
>
>  What is text style tag?  and what do you mean by spread all over the
> place?
>
>  There are a few special "phrases" in the translation file that
> effectively specify the pango flag.  The translators can specify the
> appropriate value so it can be set without the developers effort.
>
>> Did I miss something? .. Subbu
>
>  But, at the same time, the current implementation was done too
> quickly for the 8.2 release, and not great.  We should surely fix it.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Obviously there are several languages where these "phrases" are translated
the wrong way, i.e. literally instead of what they're meant for - despite
of the comments in the translation files.

Being a translator (language-admin for German) myself, I think, etoys.mo
is the wrong place for the following strings:

(excerpt from the version on Pootle)
-----(from here)
#: Scale to apply to font size (2 for twice as large)
msgid "Font-Scale"
msgstr ""

#: Use this if you do not want any of the text to be bolded, for
legibility
msgid "Suppress-Bold"
msgstr ""

#: Font to use on a Windows system
msgid "Win-Font"
msgstr ""

#: Font to use on a Mac system
msgid "Mac-Font"
msgstr ""

#: Font to use on a Linux system
msgid "Linux-Font"
msgstr ""
-----(excerpt to here)

Not being a developer, I have no idea which values to put in there. Maybe
"Win-Font", "Mac-Font" and "Linux-Font" are reasonable for languages
needing special glyphs (I just don't know that, whence I left them empty),
but "Font-Scale" and "Suppress-Bold" should rather be user-preferences
than something translators have to decide about, I'd say.

Markus
  Markus Schlager                  m.slg at gmx.de