[Etoys] pangoRenderer

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Sat Oct 18 02:21:35 EDT 2008

At Sat, 18 Oct 2008 11:30:38 +0530,
K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Saturday 18 Oct 2008 2:40:01 am Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >   I tried to reproduce it, but not successfully.  One thing that might
> > affect is that you actually have a different etoys.mo file for
> > Spanish, and your etoys-dev-4.0 finds it?  The system trys to decide
> > whether it should turn it on or not by looking at some phrases and
> > specs in the .mo file
> What was the rationale behind such a logic?
>
> Locale is a poor determinant of rendering method. I would expect the method to
> be text style tag rather than spread all over the place like this. The
> current approach seems to add complexity to an already complex issue of
> multilingual text.

  What is text style tag?  and what do you mean by spread all over the
place?

  There are a few special "phrases" in the translation file that
effectively specify the pango flag.  The translators can specify the
appropriate value so it can be set without the developers effort.

> Did I miss something? .. Subbu

  But, at the same time, the current implementation was done too
quickly for the 8.2 release, and not great.  We should surely fix it.