[Etoys] Translation on traditional chinese

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Mon Nov 3 23:47:39 EST 2008

2008/10/29 Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org>:

>> Are you aware of any effort for such translation.
>
>  I saw occasionally questions whether Squeak (typically not Etoys)
> can handle traditional chinese, but I am not aware of the organized
> effort of making Etoys translations for traditional Chinese.
>
>> When it comes to oriental languages, does the font need to be part of
>> the Etoys image, or can it be from the host operating system?
>
>  It can be a separated font file from the net or local disk, or on a
> platform with Pango library, it can get the system font via Pango.

I saw in the japanese translation a bitmap font is loaded.
I guess using Pango is not portable.
A translation effort in traditional Chinese will be for workstation
use of Etoys and not in the XO. So Pango use will not be relevant.
I am not sure to understand yet what are the necessary steps to get
font ready to use.
Steven told me there are unicode unified fonts for both traditional
and modern Chinese.

Hilaire

--
http://blog.ofset.org/hilaire