[Etoys] Sound tool refactoring and enhancement

polishookm polishookm at mail.montclair.edu
Tue May 6 14:19:37 EDT 2008

I think I'm thinking about something like a holder for sounds (audio
files) where each sound could also have a costume (what it looks like)
and a flexshell (possible transformations that have been applied to the
audio file). So tile scripting would then be able to do quite a bit in
the way of multimedia presentation with sound and morphic objects.

Perhaps the piano roll mechanism (and the metaphor of the piano) is
outdated (or should be one option among several others ....).

Perhaps the entire mechanism could link to OLPC Csound (through OSC?)

.... Hope this is all helpful as ideas ....

karl wrote:
> polishookm wrote:
>> Perhaps more tile options to deal with sound through the script(or)
>> mechanism such that morphs could  represent graphical (musical)
>> scores - morph properties could be mapped to sound properties and
>> vice versa.
> Yes, that is part of ScorePlayerMorph. I have a change set somewhere
> that adds a menu option to the ScorePlayerMorph to add tracks, so
> editing of scores becomes accessible.
>
> Karl
>>

>> karl wrote:
>>> I've been slowly working my way through the code of WaveEditor and
>>> added a few enhancements to GraphMorph and PianoKeyboardMorph as
>>> well. Now I'm wondering if there is interest to include such work in
>>> the Etoy image?
>>>
>>> The tools kind of work the way they are were but are arcane eg.
>>> WaveEditor is really a sound/instrument loop editor not a tool for
>>> editing general sound clips. I have started to make it into a
>>> general editor to edit sound clips and have made good progress in
>>> that regard. What are your thoughts on where these tools should move
>>> or not move ?
>>>

>>> Karl

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html