[Etoys] Sound tool refactoring and enhancement

karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue May 6 14:56:35 EDT 2008

polishookm wrote:
> I think I'm thinking about something like a holder for sounds (audio
> files) where each sound could also have a costume (what it looks like)
> and a flexshell (possible transformations that have been applied to
> the audio file). So tile scripting would then be able to do quite a
> bit in the way of multimedia presentation with sound and morphic objects.
There is allready quite a lot of the functionality you ask for but the
tools could be improved.

Yes it would be nice to script the FM synth, something like the Tamtam
synth editor in etoys.

Sound could be  represented with their sonogram but that would soon get
confusing.  You could have a sketch associated with a sound to represent
it in a holder but the maintenance could be big if you where to create a
long list of sounds and then a image for each.

SampledSounds are a little like sketches and you don't really script
other transformations of sketches than rotate and scale and SampledSound
can script it's volume.

BookMorphs can trigger sounds on page turns etc.

> Perhaps the piano roll mechanism (and the metaphor of the piano) is
> outdated (or should be one option among several others ....).

It's absolutely not the only path. But I find the score quite attractive
and if it could be generalized into a spread sheet all kind of things
could be scripted and played back. Take a look at the Skeleton animation
package for example. http://languagegame.org:8888/ggame/11

> Perhaps the entire mechanism could link to OLPC Csound (through OSC?)

After reading about the different plans laid out for OLPC lately I'm
quite happy to keep as much tools as possible in the image and let the
world around have their system switches and temper tantrums ;-)

> .... Hope this is all helpful as ideas ....

Very helpful and its good to have different ideas brought up : -)

Karl