[Etoys] [Fwd: etoy translation next steps]

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 07:20:20 EDT 2008

On 3/25/08, Gerhard Steiner <gd.steiner at gmx.at> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we have the first fully reviewed and cleaned translation of etoys on the
> pootle server.
> Great thanks to Markus Schlager who reviewed the german translation and
> did most of the clean up.
> Hey guys, etoy-translation is definitely doable.
>

> Please include the actual german translation into the actual images
> (etoy and etoy-dev).
   You need not to load translations into image.  By placing compiled
etoys.mo under lang/{lang}/LC_MESSAGES, translation will be done with
the MO.

> The commit from pootle to git doesn't work.
   If you are language admin of German on Pootle and the functionality
doesn't work for you, you could fill ticket for that, or ask for help
in localization list.

> Please also merge the change sets from Korakurider which will hopefully
> fix many of the missing translations strings.
>
> http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6704
    work still in progress...

> The german translation raised also some questions, which needs discussion
>
> 1. We need a solution for strings which have to be translated in
> different ways (context-dependent translation).
>    "copy" -> "kopieren"
>    "copy" -> "Kopie"
>
> Attached please find a list with ambiguous strings in the actual
> etoys.po on Pootle.
    Please fill ticket for this.

> 2. Splitting the etoys.po on Pootle into 2-3 pieces would make the life
> easier for translators, especially those who start with the translation.
> This would also reduce the strings with translation conflicts.
     I filled http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/6755 for this.

<snip>

Cheers,
/Korakurider