[Etoys] Project Navigation

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Jul 24 11:33:47 EDT 2008

At Thu, 24 Jul 2008 11:51:02 +0100,
Derek O'Connell wrote:

> Thanks all for the replies. About searchable list (scratches head) I
> had tried googling using "site:lists.laptop.org" in the past but did
> not get results from the actual Etoys list. I do now so thanks for the
> reminder.

  If your emailer allows you to see all the headers, a header line:

will tell you (just for the future record).

> For background info: for several months I have restricted myself to
> Etoys and tile-based scripting to get a better appreciation of Etoys
> myself but also to gain some perspective on what an end-user/
> non-programmer (child/ parent/ teacher) may experience and especially
> the problems they may encounter. So while I personally can find my way
> around most problems I usually call a halt where I think a newcomer
> may get completely stuck. I started this exercise using the image from
> http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip and pull down updates on a
> regular basis. I chose this one assuming it best represented any
> future public release (sans example projects) and to avoid posting bug
> reports on things that may already have been fixed. A count today
> reveals my image contains 51 projects about 2/3 of which are
> specifically for investigating various aspects of
> Morphs/EToy/scripting.

  Thank you for trying this.  But the etoys.image (not -dev.image)
would be more suitable for that purpose, and keep updating the
Squeakland-OLPC is almost the same as what you would get soon as the
official release.

> I am running on winxp with a 3.10.2 (alpha) vm, don't have access to
> an XO and assuming that  the Etoys image will eventually be hw/os
> agnostic... all of which should have been stated in my original post,
> sry!

  Because of the philosophy that the Sugar has (stay away from
document files, etc.) everything cannot be exactly the same, and we/I
didn't like the 75 pixels thick black thing at the top.  Again, thank
you for trying.  We certainly have some more time to change some stuff
to have better synchronized versions.

> I have checked again and the problem only exists in the original image
> from etoys-image-and-pr.zip. With updates the button alternates
> between the default project and the last project entered. This makes
> sense but of out interest why can the root project not be the
> default?

  On Sugar, one may launch the etoys image to "join" the collaboration
initiated by others.  In that case, starting from an empty project is
better than having clouds and a running car.

> Is it right to assume that this release and the reference to
> SqueakLand implies that OLPC Etoys *is* going platform agnostic?

  It depends on the definition of platform agnostic.  You will be able
to share the projects among different platforms, etc. but the share
button and load button in the bar etc. will be different.

> In which case will references to "sugar" be renamed? I ask this out
> of ignorance of how exactly Etoys interacts with Sugar. I should
> make amends but since I don't ever expect to own an XO it would be a
> distraction.

  Hmm, what "references" do you have in your mind?

> As an aside: I did plan to migrate to that release but discovered
> problems saving/loading projects which contain child projects (in
> etoys-dev).

  It should generally work.

  Thank you!