[Etoys] Project Navigation

Derek O'Connell doconnel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 06:51:02 EDT 2008

Thanks all for the replies. About searchable list (scratches head) I
had tried googling using "site:lists.laptop.org" in the past but did
not get results from the actual Etoys list. I do now so thanks for the
reminder.

For background info: for several months I have restricted myself to
Etoys and tile-based scripting to get a better appreciation of Etoys
myself but also to gain some perspective on what an end-user/
non-programmer (child/ parent/ teacher) may experience and especially
the problems they may encounter. So while I personally can find my way
around most problems I usually call a halt where I think a newcomer
may get completely stuck. I started this exercise using the image from
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-dev.zip and pull down updates on a
regular basis. I chose this one assuming it best represented any
future public release (sans example projects) and to avoid posting bug
reports on things that may already have been fixed. A count today
reveals my image contains 51 projects about 2/3 of which are
specifically for investigating various aspects of
Morphs/EToy/scripting.

I am running on winxp with a 3.10.2 (alpha) vm, don't have access to
an XO and assuming that  the Etoys image will eventually be hw/os
agnostic... all of which should have been stated in my original post,
sry!

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima <yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
> If you're running Etoys on Sugar, the previous project button is
> smart enough not to go beyond the default project.  It could be
> the same on the other platforms.

I have checked again and the problem only exists in the original image
from etoys-image-and-pr.zip. With updates the button alternates
between the default project and the last project entered. This makes
sense but of out interest why can the root project not be the default?

At Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:57:03 +0900, Korakurider wrote:
> Derek,
>   The distribution is configured for Sugar platform that has only one
> button for project navigation.
>  The same image can be configured as appropriate for use on other
> platforms (i.e. Squeakland Etoys, aka: Squeakland OLPC) that have
> prev/next buttons for navigating projects.   I don't know how to
> configure it, Yoshiki could explain...

I can appreciate the simplicity of the single button approach.

> It will be released in near future, while right now older version is
> still available
> (http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2008-May/002307.html).

Ah yes, I downloaded this when it was posted and many thanks to those
working on it. One thing I did notice was the absence of the project
name in the nav bar. Is this to return in the next version? Should I
be pulling down updates for it or waiting for the next release?

Is it right to assume that this release and the reference to
SqueakLand implies that OLPC Etoys *is* going platform agnostic? In
which case will references to "sugar" be renamed? I ask this out of
ignorance of how exactly Etoys interacts with Sugar. I should make
amends but since I don't ever expect to own an XO it would be a
distraction.

As an aside: I did plan to migrate to that release but discovered
problems saving/loading projects which contain child projects (in
etoys-dev).

Subbu wrote:
> Alt-, (comma) and then use the projects .. submenu.

Thanks. I failed to make it clear in my original post that I was
considering the problem (now solved) from the perspective of a
newcomer, perhaps a child being isolated from complicated key combo's
and menus.