[Etoys] Jiggling the mouse

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 05:07:39 EDT 2008

Hi,

Yesterday, I watched a 7-year old girl use Etoys to assemble a face using
ellipses and rectangles. Sometimes, the rotation center had to be changed
from the default for embed ops (e.g. ears). I had taught her to bring up the
halo menu and and use the red menu button to turn on the direction handle.
She discovered that moving the rotate button leaves behind the direction
handle and preferred to use it. When the rotate button is used, the direction
handles appear and stays on even when the rotation ends with the original
heading.

My initial reaction was to make a note to file a trac ticket. But then,
watching the ease with which she used the rotate button to bring up the
direction handle and move it around, I realized this jiggle gesture comes
easily and naturally than shift click for children. Jiggle the dup button to
get a sibling, jiggle the color button to get a property sheet and so on.

BTW, I made a one-liner fix to use simple drag (instead of shift-drag) for
moving direction handles. If others can try this out and find it useful, I
will file a ticket for its inclusion in Etoys.

Subbu