[Etoys] etoys on xo in browse(r)

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 08:07:55 EDT 2008

Hey,

I noticed some things about running etoys in the browser on the XO.
The overriding theme here is that you can't. That is to say, not from
a default install.

First of all npsqueak.so isn't linked to the mozilla plugin directory.
Is this intentional? Seems to be a waste of opportunity, since all the
infrastructure is already there.
Then npsqueakrun (which is called by the plugin), doesn't work in the
new olpc security model and doesn't work well WITH it either. The way
it works now, the SqueakPlugin.image is copied to
{userdir}/.npsqueakplugin, which is of course a waste of space and
effort with processes running as different on the fly created users.
My hackish solution is to just load the plugin in /usr/lib/squeak. See
the attached npsqueakrun, which is equally hackish.

/Ties