[Etoys] An experimental version of OLPC image for non-XO environments

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Tue Jan 8 16:29:38 EST 2008

> But I am not sure if it is really ideal.  Progress of translations for
> OLPC EToys is behind codes and translation effort will be long tail.
> (We haven't yet had Pootle based ecosytem for translation though we
> expect it soon)  And we can't use update stream any more to maintain
> gettext based translation dictionary in image.
> What's wrong with external MOs even for preconfigured settings?

  The way I see non-XO image ("Squeakland-OLPC") is 6 months/12 months
release cycle with virtually no update between releases.  It
synchronizes with Etoys for XO ("OLPC Etoys"), which presumably have
the incremental, long tail nature of translation.

  Still, it is true that external MO are ok in that setting.  Adding a
second or so to the start up time is not that terrible.