[Etoys] Feature future Re: The New Etoys image

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Feb 19 07:57:53 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 12:27 , Karl wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>>   The new non-OLPC version (Squeakland-Etoys) will based on Etoys
>>> 3.0,
>>> but besides the version number, Etoys 3.0 will accumulate
>>> incremental
>>> changes from Etoys 2.3, so, there aren't too big differences.
>>>

>> 3.0 really is only an incremental step over 2.3, it could as well
>> have been named 2.4. The reason to go with 3.0 was simply because
>> we  wanted a new sources file (EtoysV3.sources). We do not expect
>> to  introduce major incompatibilities or even features in this
>> line of  development. It has to go stable now. Contributions from
>> the  community are welcome, but the core team will not add
>> features. There  certainly will be improvements, one biggie is
>> better international  text rendering, another restoration of media
>> playback, but from a  user's point of view Etoys can be considered
>> pretty much feature- complete.
> I know feature creep is easy but here are a few items I have
> thought would be great:
>
> -Some sort of  scripting access to Journal files so one can build
> media players (slideshows, music player etc) without internalizing
> the files.

That would be cool. Can you imagine how it should look like? We have
not had that functionality in Etoys before (like, making a slideshow
from a directory of files).

> -Ogg Theora video seems to be the format of the Recording Activity
> so we should support that.

We hope to have a gstreamer plugin, which also would support Theora.

> -Diego's Image Processing (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2411) and
> since there is no photo enhancement / adjusting activity I know of
> it is quite useful.

Did you test this on the XO? Might make a nice activity.

> -Export of pictures to Journal

You can copy to the clipboard and add it to the journal from there.

> -Enhance the sound and music tools in the image so they look and
> feel and behave better.

Who could work on that? But it would be great, yes.

> -Skeleton (http://languagegame.org:8888/ggame/11) and further
> enhance the spread sheet and animation

That would be cool as a project, as well as ODECo.

> Faster project loading could make diverse activities possible by
> quick loading of features.

That's stuff I wouldn't count as "new feature". And Luke seems to be
onto something there ...

> Did I forget anything ? :-)

Certainly, and me too ;)