[Etoys] Feature future Re: The New Etoys image

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Tue Feb 19 12:21:39 EST 2008

2008/2/19, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>:

> On Feb 19, 2008, at 12:27 , Karl wrote:
>
> > Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >> 3.0 really is only an incremental step over 2.3, it could as well
> >> have been named 2.4. The reason to go with 3.0 was simply because
> >> we  wanted a new sources file (EtoysV3.sources). We do not expect
> >> to  introduce major incompatibilities or even features in this
> >> line of  development. It has to go stable now. Contributions from
> >> the  community are welcome, but the core team will not add
> >> features. There  certainly will be improvements, one biggie is
> >> better international  text rendering, another restoration of media
> >> playback, but from a  user's point of view Etoys can be considered
> >> pretty much feature- complete.
> > I know feature creep is easy but here are a few items I have
> > thought would be great:
> >
> > -Some sort of  scripting access to Journal files so one can build
> > media players (slideshows, music player etc) without internalizing
> > the files.
>
> That would be cool. Can you imagine how it should look like? We have
> not had that functionality in Etoys before (like, making a slideshow
> from a directory of files).
>
> > -Ogg Theora video seems to be the format of the Recording Activity
> > so we should support that.
>
> We hope to have a gstreamer plugin, which also would support Theora.

Why not a compiled plugin for Ogg/Theora so it is portable to other
plateform as well for Mac and Windows.
Otherwise the use of Ogg/Theora will be very limited as non portable.
Please considerer it :)

In our pedagogical center, I have a planed presentation of Etoys to
teacher on May, on Mac OSX.  I know teacher will ask me about video...

Hilaire