[Etoys] Feature future Re: The New Etoys image

Karl karl.ramberg at comhem.se
Tue Feb 19 06:27:00 EST 2008

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> announced in earlier post "A new experimental version of OLPC
>>> image for
>>> non-XO environments".
>>>
>>   The new non-OLPC version (Squeakland-Etoys) will based on Etoys 3.0,
>> but besides the version number, Etoys 3.0 will accumulate incremental
>> changes from Etoys 2.3, so, there aren't too big differences.
>>

> 3.0 really is only an incremental step over 2.3, it could as well
> have been named 2.4. The reason to go with 3.0 was simply because we
> wanted a new sources file (EtoysV3.sources). We do not expect to
> introduce major incompatibilities or even features in this line of
> development. It has to go stable now. Contributions from the
> community are welcome, but the core team will not add features. There
> certainly will be improvements, one biggie is better international
> text rendering, another restoration of media playback, but from a
> user's point of view Etoys can be considered pretty much feature-
> complete.
I know feature creep is easy but here are a few items I have thought
would be great:

-Some sort of  scripting access to Journal files so one can build media
players (slideshows, music player etc) without internalizing the files.

-Ogg Theora video seems to be the format of the Recording Activity so we
should support that.

-Diego's Image Processing (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2411) and since
there is no photo enhancement / adjusting activity I know of it is quite
useful.

-Export of pictures to Journal

-Enhance the sound and music tools in the image so they look and feel
and behave better.

-Skeleton (http://languagegame.org:8888/ggame/11) and further enhance
the spread sheet and animation

Faster project loading could make diverse activities possible by quick

Did I forget anything ? :-)

Karl