[Etoys] The New Etoys image

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Feb 19 04:33:52 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 5:12 , Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>>> Also, could you comment how does 2.3 and 3.0 relate to the non-
>>> OLPC version
>> announced in earlier post "A new experimental version of OLPC
>> image for
>> non-XO environments".
>
>   The new non-OLPC version (Squeakland-Etoys) will based on Etoys 3.0,
> but besides the version number, Etoys 3.0 will accumulate incremental
> changes from Etoys 2.3, so, there aren't too big differences.

3.0 really is only an incremental step over 2.3, it could as well
have been named 2.4. The reason to go with 3.0 was simply because we
wanted a new sources file (EtoysV3.sources). We do not expect to
introduce major incompatibilities or even features in this line of
development. It has to go stable now. Contributions from the
community are welcome, but the core team will not add features. There
certainly will be improvements, one biggie is better international
text rendering, another restoration of media playback, but from a
user's point of view Etoys can be considered pretty much feature-
complete.