[Etoys] Greek and other languages support

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Thu Feb 14 15:08:17 EST 2008

> Unfortunately, the keyboard doesn't behave well with accents, so we aren't being able to have the projects translated
> and Uruguayan teachers are finding difficult to use the tool in English.
> Do you have any suggestions for translating the projects in another way, so we can work on it while the bug isn't fixed?
  It may sound strange, but if you set the locale to 'en' on XO, you
should be able to type an accented character by hitting the base
character first and then the accent.  (For the accent, you need to press
a right key with Alt GR.  Look at the picture here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Keyboard_english.png

to figure out which key.  For example é can be inserted by hitting "e"
and AltGR+4.

  Etoys looks at the locale and switch to the language, so if you set
the locale of system to en, you set the Etoys's language from the flag
button in the menu bar.

  You can also just input these characters on Windows or Mac, I
believe.  And, Etoys works fine on them.  That is certainly an option.