[Etoys] translation issue in addTranslatedList:

Takashi Yamamiya tak at metatoys.org
Thu Sep 27 12:56:29 EDT 2007

> I actually think it would be best to revert those changes - I'm sorry
> I didn't look closely enough earlier.

I don't think so. If there are some performance issue, yes. But adding
a lot of #translated is a gettext way, and stupidly simple.

We don't have enough experience to make a new way. I'm conservative
about this issue because we have already done enough failure.
So I prefer to ship a build in gettext way as well as possible, then
find better ways.

> Hmm, masterOrderingOfCategorySymbols is a special case that
> translates symbols. It seems silly to create an Array of Strings at
> runtime and convert them to Symbols. I think it should be converted
> back to a literal Array. Then mark it with #translatedNoop (and
> change the exporter to use symbols if it did not find any Strings) or
> introduce #translatedSymbolsNoop which would be the same as
> #translatedNoop but export both, Strings and Symbols. (Besides, there
> is debug code left in #masterOrderingOfCategorySymbols by Takashi ...)

Hehe, I'm sorry...

Cheers,
- Takashi