[Etoys] translation issue in addTranslatedList:

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 27 08:13:23 EDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 13:14 , korakurider wrote:

> Sigh, if I were to have this idea before I did tons of
> embeding of #translatedNoop (in
> #masterOrderingOfCategorySymbols, etc)...

Well, one of our goals with the translation approach was to make it  
simple, with almost no source changes except for adding the  
#translated or #translatedNoop sends.

I actually think it would be best to revert those changes - I'm sorry  
I didn't look closely enough earlier.

Hmm, masterOrderingOfCategorySymbols is a special case that  
translates symbols. It seems silly to create an Array of Strings at  
runtime and convert them to Symbols. I think it should be converted  
back to a literal Array. Then mark it with #translatedNoop (and  
change the exporter to use symbols if it did not find any Strings) or  
introduce #translatedSymbolsNoop which would be the same as  
#translatedNoop but export both, Strings and Symbols. (Besides, there  
is debug code left in #masterOrderingOfCategorySymbols by Takashi ...)

- Bert -

More information about the Etoys mailing list