[Etoys] Monticello and other questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Sep 27 10:46:18 EDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:32 , Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Howdy!
>
> I'm working with OLE Nepal (http://nepal.ole.org/) to introduce XOs
> into public schools here in Kathmandu. The plan is to write lots of
> Squeak-based educational software to supplement the standard
> curriculum in math and english so that the machines can be used in the
> classroom.
>
> I want to sort out a good and open collaborative development
> environment for writing the code. I'm wondering how you guys develop
> the XO Etoys image and what you would recommend to us?

We use a dev image, the deployed image is created from that by
stripping sources and unneeded stuff. Start reading at

	http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

and don't hesitate to ask back with your questions. Ah, and we jsut
switched to 2.2, so after loading all updates, you need to switch the
dev image, too:

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2007-September/001136.html

> My first thought is to install Monticello via Squeakmap but I'm unable
> to do this cleanly due to apparent compatibility problems, which makes
> me wonder how other people are working. Advice welcome!

That should work fine in the dev image actually, I use Monticello, too.