[Etoys] Translation paths

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 10:24:16 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 18:28, Takashi Yamamiya wrote:
TY> >> PS: Etoys has been pulled out of fedora's site...
TY> >
TY> > I don't think so:
TY> >
TY> > 	http://translate.fedoraproject.org/module/olpc-etoys
TY>
TY> I know sometimes it doesn't work correctly, maybe it is
TY> because transition from git to svn.
TY>
TY> You can download the master translation files from
TY> http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/etoys/po/
TY> The fedora site is just a mirror of the repository.
TY>
TY> Let's try the launchpad. How about this process?
TY>
TY> 1. Upload latest .pot or .po from the svn repository to the
TY>    launchpad. I think everyone can upload it if I am lazy.

There were a whole bunch of .es.po included in the zip in ticket
#3518 - that are still in the limbo (on Fedora Etoys has been
'popping ing and out', as if undecided on staying or leaving ;)
but never with the 'updated' POs...

TY> 2. Make and discuss new translations with web interface.
TY> 3. When some work finished, report as a ticket (or mail to
TY>    the list). Because there are so many .po files, I can't
TY>    notice about new file by myself.
TY> 4. The new file is committed the svn by a developer (maybe
TY>    me).
TY>
TY> Although, some of you feel confusing because we have both
TY> launchpad and fedora site,

I'm confused :)  That's my natural state, but the more I try to
figure things out, the more confused I get (that is not so
natural ;)

I have no problem posting to the wiki that eToys will be only
using launchpad; write, web, sugar, etc. will be in fedora, and
so for each activity. But currently nobody can know if they'll
work in vain...

Working in vein (iow, redoing previously work done by others) is
very common when you are new to something and ignore the
procedures... but when there are no real working procedures (and
you find out) that is something that frustrates everybody.

So, could we at least get an ad-hoc, per-activity, set of
directives that will enable l10n to actually make it full-circle:
 - in a decent amount of time (or if it's > 24hs explicit)
 - in a predictable way
(by full circle I mean that a translator will actually download or
look at the latest versions, not prehistoric ones, and actually
build on top of the work of others thus having a community).

TY>well, I prefer to delay the
TY> decision a while...

If it helps, here's my vote (not based on the technical) and
regarding Etoys:
- ditch fedora (maybe even remove it's listing in the l10n to
avoid confusion, or until it syncs ok)
- use launchpad

TY> Cheers,
TY> - Takashi

Cheers,
Xavier

PS: I've started using some OBXes in the wiki for tracking
activities (and their l10n), Etoys was one of the updated pages,
and now we have *lots* (maybe too many?) categories of missing
POT & PO (per language) so when a translator shows up we'll be
able to tell them: check [[Category:such lang-xx]] to find what
is missing... it would be nice if their work could be integrated.

XA
=========
Don't Panic!  The Answer is 42