[Etoys] Translation paths

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:29:19 EDT 2007

Takashi & Paulo,

I agree that launchpad is *way* more friendly and useful than
fedora's site (at least in it's curernt state). Not only because
it's web based (less shuffling around of files, possibly messing
up encodings and other nuances) but you can pull strings from an
apparently vast set of previous translations... allowing greater
consistency of protocols and idioms for each language.

Given that Etoys is highly fragmented (lots of POTs) and if each
pot is translated by a different translator the risks of ending
up with a fully de-localized etoys is high...

iow, it will all be in a given language, but with no consistency
for terms, objects and 'messages'.  It may end up being a useless
environment that nobody but a fully bilingual 'developer' that
can translate back into english and map it into their knowledge
of the environment will be able to profit from (I've witnessed
those kind of 'localizations', and they are not nice)

My question is: how will we manage?

Having etoys' POTs 'hosted' in both is confusing because we have
no clear flow for either plus (personally) I have no clue how
will the integration work.  So I can't even start telling other
translators or posting on the wiki how to go around
collaborating....

BTW, this applies not only to etoys, but all other l10n stuff...

Cheers,
Xavier

http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/etoys/po/
TY> I will merge into here by my hand at first.
TY>
TY> Now we have two different aspect of issues. One is a just
TY> technical issue, our gettext support isn't good enough yet.
TY> Other one is translation process, we need to make clear how
TY> to adjust each translation volunteers.
TY>
TY> Cheers,
TY> - Takashi

XA