[Etoys] Fwd: Pootle now fully open for translation

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Nov 20 12:22:45 EST 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 18:03 , korakurider at yahoo.co.jp wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> At least OLPC contributors are genuinely interested in translating
>> all activities. By not being visible at pootle, we're missing out on
>> these volunteers. And launchpad has not exactly attracted many
>> translators to date.
> Pootle itself seems quite appealing also to me.
>
> My thought about using Pootle is:
>
> + We need to manage translations for language that isn't current
>   target of OLPC (i.e. Japanese).  While they made clear that all,
>   languages will be welcomed, it is also clear they are focusing
> toward
>   the targetted languages, and right now there isn't actually any
>   translation project for the language on the pootle instance.
>   So some negotiation / walk through / testing will be needed to use
>   the langauges in the site.

I guess adding another language would actually be welcomed by OLPC.

> + It seems that OLPC pootle is tightly integrated with git:
>   By commit in pootle, updated PO will be directly committed into git.

We can easily move POs from svn to git.

>   (other version control system including SVN can be integrated with
> pootle)
>   EToys project is using its own SVN for managing POs and very limited
> folks have write access to the repository.  Do you really want to
> allow
> direct access to SVN to folks of translation project?  I think we need
> to have separated baseline and manual merge process controlled by
> etoys
> developer who is doing actual build.

If you think so, we can have the "proposed" POs in git and the
"released" ones in SVN. I for one wouldn't mind having contributors
check in their stuff directly.

> Etoys could have its own pootle instance if you want complete
> control...

Nah, that would be overkill, and defeat the purpose of getting OLPC
volunteers to contribute Etoys translations.