[Etoys] Fwd: Pootle now fully open for translation

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:46:18 EST 2007

This is a sort of catch-all response to the thread (so I'll be
addressing issues from several mails)

== Size of Etoys ==
Yes, by current XO standards Etoys is huge (although TamTam is
playing catch-up ;) so it could merit a project all by itself. A
bit redundant (1 project : 1 POT) but it would also a better
permission control & some security.

== Pootle functionality vs Launchpad ==
A nice feature of Pootle is a series of checks that can be
performed on the POs (arguments, capitalization, punctuation,
etc. quite a lot, but my guess is that they are geared towards
european languages and grammar - helpful nevertheless). I don't
know if Launchpad has similar features.

On the other hand, Launchpad has the ability to reuse translations
from other projects/packages/files... something that if we manage
to work out in Pootle will be a manual & batch process... Lacking
that, the glossary/terminology in Pootle is quite handy and not
too complicated to work out.

== Pootle languages ==
Extremely simple to add & setup. You define a language, declare
the number of plurals, the plural formula and you're set to
associate it with the projects. The hard part is getting the
admin & specific workflow ;)

== Version control systems ==
The integration with GIT was the blocker because it was backported
from Pootle's bleeding edge and our own personal difficulties.
Other version control systems (like SVN, CVS were built-in, but
the focus was GIT). We are planning to open an "XO-Extras"
project intended to target non git-d.l.o projects...

== In summary ==

Etoys may be a bit too big for initial testing and working out
other version control systems, but I see no problem in pulling it
in once we know how (iow, a smaller guinea pig may be preferable)
The trick would be not to disrupt the L10n process currently
working for Etoys...

The optimal configuration would be for Etoys to benefit from both
Launchpad & Pootle. But I have no idea how feasible that is.

A relatively simple test could be to set up a mock project without
version control and upload the POT & POs of Etoys so that you can
get a better feeling... if merging POs manually into Launchpad is
not an issue you could sync with them at will, or sync from
Launchpad into Pootle (although there are some issues to explore
there).

BTW, these are just my ideas :)

Cheers,
Xavier