[Etoys] Fwd: Pootle now fully open for translation

korakurider at yahoo.co.jp korakurider at yahoo.co.jp
Tue Nov 20 12:03:18 EST 2007

Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> At least OLPC contributors are genuinely interested in translating
> all activities. By not being visible at pootle, we're missing out on
> these volunteers. And launchpad has not exactly attracted many
> translators to date.
Pootle itself seems quite appealing also to me.

My thought about using Pootle is:

+ We need to manage translations for language that isn't current
  target of OLPC (i.e. Japanese).  While they made clear that all,
  languages will be welcomed, it is also clear they are focusing toward
  the targetted languages, and right now there isn't actually any
  translation project for the language on the pootle instance.
  So some negotiation / walk through / testing will be needed to use
  the langauges in the site.

+ It seems that OLPC pootle is tightly integrated with git:
  By commit in pootle, updated PO will be directly committed into git.
  (other version control system including SVN can be integrated with
pootle)
  EToys project is using its own SVN for managing POs and very limited
folks have write access to the repository.  Do you really want to allow
direct access to SVN to folks of translation project?  I think we need
to have separated baseline and manual merge process controlled by etoys
developer who is doing actual build.

Etoys could have its own pootle instance if you want complete control...

/Korakurider