[Etoys] Translations

Hilaire Fernandes hilaire at ofset.org
Thu Jun 28 05:54:34 EDT 2007

Gettext is great, but you have to be carefull when splitting the
translation effort. Some of the translators will use a text editor on
Mac, some in Windows and other with Linux. it will result in
translation with different encoding and carriage return rules. So when
merging back some attention is necessary, but it is workable.
If there are not much to translate, using directly Squeak and its
Language editor is much faster.

I faced this problem when a few years ago we did the effort to
translate Squeak in French. I splitted the export .po file from the
language editor in small pieces to share the translation load in the
community, then merge back.

The problem using Gettext with Squeak, is that Gettext is not its
native system for translation. When using Gettext with GNU application
you benefice from the its tool suite: when messages are updated, it is
able to mark changed messages as fuzzy and/or to propose a closer
match. I don't know if it is applicable to Squeak, and what is
necessary to do to make the best use of the whole gettext tool suite.

Regarding translation, another stuff it will be nice is language
catalogue per Squeak Application. It is not unrealistic
people/organisation/vendor will develop Squeak application (applet,
extension or whatever it should be nammed) for the OLPC.
In this case this organisation will also need to ship language
catalogue with their Squeak Application. It is also what Gettext
provides.

Hilaire