[Etoys] EToys question -- clearly I'm missing some key concept

Steven Greenberg greenbes at puzzlingevidence.net
Tue Jan 23 14:50:03 EST 2007

On 1/23/07, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org> wrote:

>  Hi Steven --
>
> What you are trying to do is not Etoys, but to do something in Squeak
> Smalltalk using one of its graphics systems (called Morphic). Etoys is a UI
> that rides on top of Squeak Smalltalk. Its objects are called "Players" and
> the associated graphics of a player is called its "costume". Using Squeak
> Smalltalk, you can talk to the costume of a player by saying "self costume
> blah blah", where blah blah is a message that morphs understand.

Hi Alan, thanks for the answer.  I think I actually do want EToys because I
want my objects to be generically scriptable using tiles.  That example I
asked about was chosen because it's something I already know how to do in
squeak :-).  It's not the actual project, just a learning exercise.

    Regards,
    Steve