[Etoys] EToys question -- clearly I'm missing some key concept

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Tue Jan 23 14:33:41 EST 2007

Hi Steven --

What you are trying to do is not Etoys, but to do something in Squeak
Smalltalk using one of its graphics systems (called Morphic). Etoys
is a UI that rides on top of Squeak Smalltalk. Its objects are called
"Players" and the associated graphics of a player is called its
"costume". Using Squeak Smalltalk, you can talk to the costume of a
player by saying "self costume blah blah", where blah blah is a
message that morphs understand.

There are lots of manuals for Smalltalk, and Squeak Smalltalk, and
even one for Etoys.

Cheers,

Alan