[Etoys] Questions on etoys based activity

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Dec 14 01:50:38 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007, at 7:27 , Korakurider wrote:

> Hi, Bert.
> I am trying your DiceWars xo bundle to understand developing
> etoys-based activity (and to study how to translate activities).
> Please let me newbie ask :
>
> + On my B4 (with Build650/Q2D07), the activity wouldn't start (I
> waited a few minutes and gave it up).
>    I installed it by sending *.xo to myself by gmail and just download
> from gmail on XO :-)
>    ("To install an activity" of http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities
> says that launching from Journal entry is needed to complete
> installing.
>     But I just downloaded it and activity appeared in task bar)
>    Am I doing wrong? (ok, I will try again with the proper
> installation step in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_an_activity)
>    Or Do I need to upgrade my box to newer unstable release?
>    Or Is launching etoys-based activity incredibly slow?

The DiceWars bundle is old, will only work on old Sugar. I think the
EPaati bundle is newer, and best is probably to just copy the Etoys
bundle and edit it. The latest Etoys bundle contains two scripts, one
for old Sugar and one for current Sugar. 650 already has new Sugar I
think.

> + How can I know home path of currently running activity in etoys
> code?
>    By the information I can tweak to search path for activity MOs.

You could extract that from the path of the project or changeset that
is loaded from the bundle.

Another way would be to pass the path on the command line
explicitely. Something like

	args="$args MO_PATH $SUGAR_BUNDLE_PATH/locales/"

in the etoys-activity script.