[Etoys] Greek and other languages support

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Dec 10 19:29:33 EST 2007

>   And I investigated further, and you are right about it.  I now have
> a strange feeling that this is a bug of DejaVu font...  Could it be
> possible?

  No, of course not.  Yet further investigation revealed that there is
a bug in Squeak's font reader.

>   In the TrueType font file, such a character tend to be represented
> as a combination of parts; for example, Omega-Tonos is a combination
> of "Omega" and "Tonos".  Each of them has its own internal location,
> and the font reader reads them and combine them.
>
>   Now, Omega-tonos (u38F) has proper mappings but others like
> Alpha-tonos (u386) don't but only uses the tonos part.

  Because, Greek Alpha "refers" to Latin "A", and Alpha tonos refers
to Greek Alpha and tonos.  If there are more than two levels of
refering relation ship, Squeak's font reader cannot handle it
properly.  Omega doesn't have similar glyph in latin so the
refer-relationship is one-level. So are all lower cases except epsilon
(epsilon has "latin small letter open e" at u25b).

  A fix and new font file is underway...