[Etoys] Greek and other languages support

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Dec 10 17:39:06 EST 2007

  Hello,

> > In small caps all are supported except: έ.
> > In caps the only one supported is Ώ.
> > [note that when i type ' (accent) and then ε or E,A,H.. it appears a space
> > character and then the accent ']
> > same happens to translated .po text]
>
>   Are these really "space"?  On my Japanese Windows, I can enter
> alpha, beta, and etc, but not sure if I can do tonos.

  And I investigated further, and you are right about it.  I now have
a strange feeling that this is a bug of DejaVu font...  Could it be
possible?

  In the TrueType font file, such a character tend to be represented
as a combination of parts; for example, Omega-Tonos is a combination
of "Omega" and "Tonos".  Each of them has its own internal location,
and the font reader reads them and combine them.

  Now, Omega-tonos (u38F) has proper mappings but others like
Alpha-tonos (u386) don't but only uses the tonos part.

Does anybody know why?