[Etoys] some comments

Alan Kay alan.kay at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 30 09:38:26 EDT 2007

Hi Bill --

What follows is not an argument against (a) using
a game making approach (great for some kids) or
(b) the worth of getting all children to learn to
program (probably a good idea).

What we need to contemplate is the probability of
"gaining enlightenment" by being in contact with
various kinds of environments and epistemologies.

If we look at the class of "those who know how to
program" we see a generally unenlightened group
(maybe similar to humans in general, maybe even
less enlightened). In any case, we have to
conclude there is nothing intrinsic about
learning to program that leads to deeper
thoughts. One of our rueful jokes about the Logo
vogue in the 80s is that everything would be OK
if we could just package Seymour on the floppies!

I think it would be even easier to justify the
same generalization about gamers and game makers.

Or about archers ... There was an intriguing book
in the 60s zeitgeist called "Zen and the Art of
Archery" by Herrigel, that made a similiar point:
learning archery doesn't confer any automatic
enlightenment, but it could be used as a path if
much were added to standard training.

Or about any activity that requires
concentration, focus and learning. My grandfather
Clifton Johnson (a writer and illustrator of many
books and also an early photographer) once got
asked in 1904 to write an article for the
Saturday Evening Post on whether photography
could be an art form. He said "Art enters in when
one labors thoughtfully over a goal; that is,
when one cuts loose from actions that are merely
mechanical". It's in that space of "laboring
thoughtfully" where there are opportunities for enlightenment.

"Enlightenment about what?" brings up the
environmental influences. I don't think that
archery or cooking (or photography) are
cosmically interesting -- so the kinds of
enlightenments in these environments are likely
to be personal ones, but with some flashes of
"the world is not as it seems". On the other
hand, if science is the environment, and one is
dealing with its huge epistemological differences
with commonsense perceptions -- that is: science
has much of cosmic significance in its purview --
then there are great and deep opportunities for
enlightenment. (But no guarantees here either, just higher probabilities.)

My interest in education is not as a form of
vocational training or preparation, but in
helping children to become adults who are more
thoughtful, and whose perspectives for thinking
are much wider and deeper than the adults of
today. The built-in "universals" that are
destructive to human growth can be countered to a
considerable extent by a modern "real education"
that includes powerful invented points of view
(the "powerful ideas") that act almost as
additional brain/minds and can form a much
stronger and less brittle heuristic base for
thinking well under wider conditions.

In the end, the epistemology of science can lead
to many more and better perspectives on the human
condition, and this is where I think education
should and must go. Whether children learn
computers or not is not the issue for me (nor
even whether they gain math or science knowledge)
-- it's whether they can gain clearer
perspectives on "us and what to do about us" that is critical here.

The established Arts -- including writing -- have
as one of their main properties to provide other
perspectives and wake-up calls, but they have
been less effective than one would hope: they are
generally too easily overwhelmed by distracting
media, and they have enough story elements that
they tend to be compartmentalized (as is the
natural case with stories). On the other hand,
even though our brain/minds want to make stories
out of everything (and judge them by how apt they
seem), science stubbornly tries to rise above our
"storyminds" to help us make representations of
the "what's out there" that are much more
accurate "maps and models" (especially including
accurate maps and models of ourselves). This is
what we need to concentrate on when trying to
design new educational experiences.

I don't think we are doing very well at these
grand goals for education at the moment, but we
haven't forgotten them in all the technical
flurries that accompany the invention of new
media to hold new ways to look at important ideas.

Cheers,

Alan