[Etoys] some comments

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 01:21:04 EDT 2007

hi paulo,

Thank you for the link to squeakcmi, it looks great, I'll spend some time
there

I'm a secondary teacher and in the past few years I've mainly been using
GameMaker - but now think Squeak / Etoys is potentially more powerful for a
variety of reasons which I have articulated a little but it needs
improvement

The Game Making approach is flavour of the month and is good for motivation
and engagement of many students (not all). Also many teachers are engaged by
the concept. I received hundreds of emails from teachers in just one state
of Australia when I initially promoted Game Maker a few years ago. However,
it is also true that many teachers oppose Game Maker because they don't see
a clear link to curriculum, some see it as pandering to populism.

Both you and alan have mentioned this outlook, to quote from alan in this
thread: "a productively environment (Scratch is aimed at productivity) and
an educational one (EToys is more aimed in this direction)"

I sort of agree with this approach but am also torn. Game Maker is
unashamedly populist, the focus is absolutely clear from its name. So kids
end up programming on an inferior platform - no morphic, no late binding,
Windows only, proprietary code. It would be nice if more young people
spontaneously picked up on etoys / squeak, that it could generate that sort
of appeal. The way kids view school these days to promote something as
"educational" is almost the kiss of death!!

I would see Etoys / Squeak as more powerful than either Scratch or Game
Maker. I wouldn't see young students moving over from Etoys to Scratch as a
step upwards, it seems more like a step backwards to me.

I like the low entry, high ceiling approach. You don't need the high ceiling
for all students but in any group a small proportion of hackers emerges, say
5%,  which does need the high ceiling. One aim ought to be to encourage that
advanced group, one thing they do is drag the general level upwards

For the students I teach (secondary) the quality of their sprites is very
important. I have seen them abandon their game making projects simply
because they couldn't find the sprites they wanted on the web.

I'm still a beginner with etoys / squeak but have done more study recently
and now understand how the morphic approach fits in to etoys (the Player
class, prototyping approach).

What I'm saying is that it would be good to have multiple pathways into
etoys, not always starting with a painting, which is a v strong default at
the moment. This would probably mean the ability from the start to select a
variety of morphs from a supplies or widgets tab, which is a feature of eg.
my squeak 3.8 full image but not a feature of the OLPC/etoys image. You only
get the paint option. I can't find the world menu to access morphs in that
way at all in the etoys image so I'm wondering about the design decisions
that have been made in this case and the rationale behind them.

I think what you and alan will say is that the target group for the OLPC is
ages 6 to 12, one of the core_principles:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Core_principles

Fair enough but I think for this group my comments still do have some
relevance, so I'll send to the list as well

cheers,
- Bill
--
Bill Kerr