[Etoys] some comments

Tony Forster forster at ozonline.com.au
Thu Aug 30 19:55:23 EDT 2007

Thanks Alan for an insightful view on "gaining enlightenment" through game
making.

Exposure to a complex thinking environment does not of itself lead to deep
thinking or enlightenment. You mention "Zen and the Art of Archery" , a
similar argument was put in ON THE COGNITIVE EFFECTS OF LEARNING COMPUTER
PROGRAMMING, ROY D. PEA and D. MIDIAN KURLAND 1984
http://scil.stanford.edu/about/staff/bios/PDF/Cog_Effects_Prog where Pea
quite successfully argues, I think, that the case for Logo had been used
many times before in other domains:  "This belief, although new in its
application to this domain, is an old idea in a new costume which has been
worn often before. In its common extreme form, it is based on an assumption
about learning - that spontaneous experience with a powerful symbolic system
will have beneficial cognitive consequences, especially for higher order
cognitive skills. Similar arguments have been offered in centuries past for
mathematics, logic, writing systems, and Latin"

What this analysis overlooks is engagement. The levels of achievement are
quite astounding for kids who are offered a relevant and authentic challenge
and the right tools. Then the "powerful symbolic system" does have
"beneficial cognitive consequences" . Maybe not the enlightenment that we
would hope for but at least an understanding of mathematics, logic,
kinematics, also social skills, affective benefits "I like school" and
metacognitive or self regulatory benefits.

I think it essential that etoys is at least as motivating as Game Maker and
at least as easy at the entry level. I think there is a lot to learn from
teachers like Bill who have a long track record of successfully using such
tools and getting exceptional results from them.