[Etoys] A few notes on eToys interface - playing with latest eToys in olpc

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 20 09:15:49 EDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 1:06 , Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Hi, Karl,
>
>> I noticed that there were tool tips popping up on the Sugar icons,
>> that
>> would be nice on the  etoys menu bar.
>
>   I'm adding balloon help.

Why is it green? We should only have one balloon help color IMHO. Use
any color you like, but consistently.

>> The icon you use for selecting language is very similar to the
>> icon used
>> for web browser in the Sugar bar.
>
>   I'm not sure if you are looking at the version I published
> yesterday.  In that version, the icon looks like staggered flags
> (though only top-most one is really visible and it does look like the
> browser's icon.)

It's better than before, yes, but still looks like the browser icon.
Perhaps make a little wavy flag with an XO sign in it? No wait, that
would look like the Jolly Roger. Though I might like that. My kids
definitely would ;)

Also the supplies flap - I think it's a nice start. We'll need a
better icon of course (maybe just a 3D box with open lid?). And I'd
make the background light-gray though, right now the play field icon
is invisible.

And the tab somehow is not right, it's behind other morphs, and it's
hard to drag something into it while it's closed. Normally, a flap
just pops open. It looks like this is broken for this flap, or for a
flap attached to the right edge ... maybe because of the gap between
the flap and the screen edge?

If we remove the random tile from that flap, all items will fit in
one line. Otherwise, we at least need to adjust the default size so
all items are visible.

Can we have a NEXT icon? I can't remember why we removed that from
the navigator.

And we could remove the orange nav bar now, no?