[Etoys] A few notes on eToys interface - playing with latest eToys in olpc

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Wed Apr 18 19:06:56 EDT 2007

  Hi, Karl,

> I noticed that there were tool tips popping up on the Sugar icons, that
> would be nice on the  etoys menu bar.

  I'm adding balloon help.  I thought I would follow the Sugar's
convension and do the rectangular pop-ups, but there was wise voice:
"In Sugar, some things show extra buttons and some things show mere
help.  The problem is that both of them look the same.  Even they will
realize it is a bad idea if they get some time to think about it."
So, I'm taking an easier way so far and just do the balloon help.

> The icon you use for selecting language is very similar to the icon used
> for web browser in the Sugar bar.

  I'm not sure if you are looking at the version I published
yesterday.  In that version, the icon looks like staggered flags
(though only top-most one is really visible and it does look like the
browser's icon.)

> I think a miniature flag for each language could be nice, maybe have it
> change from a grey and white to a color one on mouseover ?

  Well.  the graphic of a miniature flag for each language would be
hard to make.  (And, can get too political, if you think about it.)
In regards to color, it would make less sense if only one button does
the color change.

> Could we have the  trashcan in the menubar too?

  Hmm.  And if we do, would we keep the trashcan morph?