[Etoys] Demon Castle Tutorials for eToys

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Oct 19 23:58:50 EDT 2006

Hi Takashi -

Some comments on the tutorials (which you can completely ignore if you
don't like 'em ;-) All in all, this is very, very cool. Going through
the exercise it struck me that it would be wonderful if for each of the
challenges there would be some "help me" or "show me" button that a user
could use if they are stuck. Something to think about, perhaps for the
next version. Here are some issues that I encountered with the tutorials:

> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/tutorial/DemonCastle1.004.pr (handles)

* On the first page where it says "Click THIS arrow" I'd move the text
closer to the arrow. I was kinda looking for "another" arrow because the
one you mean is quite far away from the text.

* On the third page (with the first key) I would change the text from
"Go ahead you can move the key" to something like "Go ahead, drag the
key on the keyhole" (to emphasize that you mean click and drag)

* On the "resize handle" page it was very hard to find quite the right
size for the key. It seems as if there is only a small range in which it
will fit and it was quite tricky to get that "just right". I wonder if
there is an easy way to increase that range?

> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/tutorial/DemonCastle2.004.pr (painter)

* The event recorder didn't work at all for me. For one thing the
painting palette popped up in a flap (and from the recorded strokes it
looks like you were making this with the palette embedded in the
playfield). Some wrong preference? Second, I had moved the book slightly
because it didn't fit my screen so the event recorder was off. We should
lock the book so that one cannot move it to avoid this problem.

* I notice that the brush sizes are smaller than we chose back in
Boston. Is this intentional or am I missing some update?

> http://tinlizzie.org/olpc/tutorial/DemonCastle3.004.pr (scriptor)

* On the second page the down-arrow points to the close button of the
scriptor instead of the fire button. This is confusing since it's not
clear if you've drawn the right button and point to the wrong button or
vice versa.

* On the page with the three test tiles in a single script, wouldn't it
be easier to make three scripts instead? Or is there a point to this I'm
missing?

Other than that these are *great* tutorials.

Cheers,
  - Andreas